Estimated time: Weekend
Sample by Robin Tobias
From golden sand to shallow tide pools, the shoreline can be teeming with life only visible when you take the time to stroll and appreciate. That moment of discovery seems magnified when you create a Strong Point using a leather color that contrasts with the beads, as Robin did with metallic gold against vibrant green.
Please scroll down to the Project Map before you start beading. Measurements, sample tips, and links to learning are all listed in the Project Notes below the Map.
The learning you’ll want to review:
Strong Point- Shore
Design Boards & Storage
The Shore sample is 35 inches long.
It is intended as a 5 wrap bracelet fitting a 6½- 7 inch wrist.
- Start by cutting your leather 3 yards in length. This 5 wrap uses every bead on two strands of hematite beads. If your wrist is larger than 7 inches, you may need to add a second button loop or extend the pattern to the desired length.
- String the button to the middle of your leather and secure it to your board.
- Cut 5 yards of Tuff Cord #3 and macramé several square knots below the button (Photo A). Review How to Ladder and How to Macramé, if you’re new to these techniques.
- Begin laddering your first row with just one bead. Continue with a pattern of: 2-1-2-1 (Photo B). As you ladder, if you run low on Tuff Cord, review How to Add Thread to a Laddering Project to add more cord. Be sure to try on your project before ending it.
- End your laddering with a last row of just one bead. If you want to make a longer bracelet for a larger wrist, you can extend the length with the same number of beads by doing a pattern of: 1-1-2-1-1. For additional length, you can also add a second macramé button loop.
- When ending (Photo C), macramé after your last bead about 4 complete square knots. Be sure to coat the last two knots with GS Hypo Cement. Allow the glue to dry before cutting the Tuff Cord tails off. In older handouts and videos we have recommended using a Thread Burner to cauterize thread. We don’t feel this is still necessary. If you use glue appropriately and cut your thread carefully, your jewelry is secure. Just don’t cut into your macramé knots!
- Check the button will fit through the opening of the leather tails before you macramé the second loop. Repeat Step 6. Use your cutters to cut away excess leather.
- Note: When selecting Tuff Cord from the SHOP TAB above, please make sure you choose Tuff Cord #3 before you add it to your cart!