How to Knot a Mala Recipe
Malas are a beadshop classic! A mala is traditionally used in Buddhism for meditation and chanting. With 108 beads plus a guru bead, they are both functional and beautiful. Create your own using updated selections from our collections, as our older samples have many beads that are no longer available…but are no less beautiful and inspiring!
- FB Live: Mala With Tassel
- How to Knot a Mala Handout
Check out our individual samples for ideas, and see the general recipe below and click on product links to make your own selections. Add items to your cart the in the finishes and colors you like and you’re ready to create!
- 3 Strands 6mm Stones OR 8mm Stones…use all the same or mix and match! 6 and 8mm Wood Beads are also great.
- 1 Strand/Package of slightly different beads for stations, perhaps 6-8mm stone rondelles, or even 8mm Czech Rondelles or 6mm Czech Melons.
- 1 Spool Regular C-Lon
- 1 Guru Bead
- 1 Pendant or charm or a tassel or a Vintage Finds carved component or bead…or a combination!
Some of our past samples have used Transitions beads or wire at the tassel, if you’d like, use these and the appropriate tools. You could also use our newer Tiny Tassels, which wouldn’t need wire or crimping to hold in place.
You will also want to have: